Parent Category: Minutes
Category: Board of Aldermen - Minutes
MINUTES OF THE PUBLIC MEETING OF THE TOWN OF ST. FRANCISVILLE MAYOR AND BOARD OF ALDERMEN, ST. FRANCISVILLE, LA, TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2016 at 5:30 P. M.
The Town of St. Francisville Board of Aldermen met in regular session this 8th day of March, 2016 at 11936 Ferdinand St., Town Hall, St. Francisville, LA. The meeting was called to order at 5:36 p. m. with the following members present: Mayor William H. D’Aquilla, Aldermen James R. Leake, Aldermen Robert P. Leake and Alderman Abby T. Cochran. Also present were Town Attorney Jesse Means and Clerk Shannon Sturgeon
Absent: Alderman Gigi Robertson, Alderman James Davis, Main Street Manager Laurie Walsh and Police Chief Scott Ford.
The pledge was led by Sophia Ladnier.
On motion by Robert P. Leake and seconded by Abby T. Cochran, the minutes of January 26, 2016 were approved as submitted. All in favor, motion carried.
Proclamation Declaring March 4th Roderick Mullen Day.
A Proclamation was read aloud by Alderman Abby T. Cochran declaring March 4th, 2016 Roderick Mullen Day in the Town of St. Francisville. In recognition of the 50th Anniversary of the Super Bowl, High Schools that had former athletes who played in the Super Bowl where awarded a Golden Football. West Feliciana Parish High School received a Golden Football in recognition of Roderick Mullen playing for the Green Bay Packers when they won 1997 Super Bowl.
Engineer Bianca Hillhouse of PEC provided the following update:
Burnette Road Bridge:
• Due to bids being substantially over budget we are requesting a funding increase for the existing Priority 1 funding for the Burnett Bridge Road Replacement project from Capital Outlay then the bridge project will re-bid.
New Water Well Replacement & Water System Improvements:
• Waiting to receive final approval from the LA Office of Community Development for a $250,000 emergency grant through the Community Water Enrichment Fund.
• Requesting $800,000 in Bond Priority 2 in the Capital Outlay Bill in the 2016 Legislative Session for the Water Well Replacement and Water Systems Improvements project.
• Bianca requested authorization to release advertisement for bids for the Water Well Replacement and Water Systems Improvements project
Motion by James R. Leake, seconded by Robert P. Leake to advertise for bids for the Water Well Replacement and Water Systems Improvement project. All in favor, motion carried.
Insurance Renewal – Property & Liability
Mr. Butler Bourgeois with Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc. presented the premium summary for property insurance renewals and answered questions for the Board of Aldermen.
Motion made by James R. Leake, seconded by Robert P. Leake, to accept the insurance renewal for the price of $85,002.00, to add Cyber Liability coverage for an additional $1,374.00, to reject the uninsured motorist coverage and to authorize Mayor D’Aquilla to sign the insurance renewal on behalf of the Town. All in favor, motion carried.
Excavator Replacement and/or Lease Purchase
The Town’s excavator is over 15 years old and will need $8,000.00 in repair work. Mayor D’Aquilla recommended that it be replaced.
Motion made by Abby T. Cochran, seconded by James R. Leake to lease purchase a new CASE CX31B Compact Excavator through Crawler Supply for $36,390.00. All in favor, motion carried.
Introduce Ordinance 2016-1
Motion made by Gigi Robertson, seconded by Robert P. Leake to introduce Ordinance 2016-2 - AN ORDIANCE ENACTING SECTION 10 – 8, “FALSE ALARMS,” OF THE ARTICLE 1, “IN GENERAL,” OF CHAPTER 10, “FIRE PROTECTION AND PREVENTION,” OF THE CODE OF ORDINANCES OF THE TOWN OF ST. FRANCISVILEE, STATE OF LOUISIANA.
Introduce Ordinance 2016-2
Motion made by James R. Leake, seconded by Abby T. Cochran to introduce Ordinance 2016-2 - AN ORDINANCE ENACTING SUB-SECTION 16-6.1, “ORDINANCE REVOKING THE DEDICATION OF ABANDONED PUBLIC PROPERTY ADJACENT TO DIPPEL DRIVE AND ADJACENT TO LOTS 10 AND 11 OF DIPPEL SUBDIVISION,” OF SECTION 16-6, “REVOCATION OF THE DEDICATION FOR PUBLIC USE OF ABANDONED STREETS, SIDEWALKS, AND ADJACENT PROPERTY,” OF CHAPTER 16, “STREETS AND SIDEWALKS,” OF ARTICLE I, “IN GENERAL,” OF THE CODE OF ORDINANCES OF THE TOWN OF ST. FRANCISVILLE, STATE OF LOUISIANA. All in favor, motion carried.
Toni Ladnier Addressed the Board of Alderman Regarding Parking on Ferdinand
Toni Ladnier requested that the Town paint parallel parking lines on Ferdinand to provide adequate parking spaces for businesses. Ms. Ladnier is having problems with customers parking at her business on Ferdinand Street and blocking resident’s driveways. After discussion the following course of action was determined. 1) Mayor D’Aquilla will contact LA DOTD to inquire about options since Ferdinand is a State Hwy. 2) Mayor D’Aquilla offered over-flow parking at Town Hall to help provide additional parking space.
Our previous building official, Alan Dwyer, was working for the Town part-time and the Parish full-time. However, due to the increase volume of permit request the work load became too much for one person to handle so he chose to leave the Town’s part-time employment and continue his full-time position with the Parish.
The Mayor introduced Eric Parnell, provided his resume to the Board and recommended approving the March 1, 2016 hiring of him on contract basis, as the Building Official for the Town of St. Francisville.
Motion made by Robert P. Leake, seconded by Abby T. Cochran to accept Mayor D’Aquilla’s March 1, 21016 hiring of Eric Parnell as Building Official. All in favor, motion carried.
Permitting & Planning Updates:
Update provided by new Building Official, Eric Parnell
• Has met with the hospital officials, Architects and Contractor. Performing weekly site visits and any required site inspections requested.
• Several people have contacted the town regarding opening new business
o A bakery in Spring Creek shopping center.
o A barber shop on Commerce Street
• New residential building on Hartson Street is working with the Historic District Board
o Eric is also working with Mr. Beckham on code compliance.
• Sent letter to Claude Barron regarding security and safety concerns at his construction site on Leonard Street.
• Spoke with Parish Engineer regarding the Parish Governmental Services Building being remodeled on Hwy. 10.
– Mayor D’Aquilla
• Some of the speed bumps in Villa Rose were removed per resident’s request. The speed bumps closest to the Hwy. 61 entrance were left.
• The contract with Joseph Furr for Landscape Architectural Services has been signed and survey work has started.
• Work on the caboose refurbishment has begun. The platform has been removed.
• The Louisiana Municipal Association’s Annual convention will be July 28th – 30th of this year. More details should be provided by LMA soon.
– Chief Scott Ford was absent.
Main Street Report
– Laurie Walsh was out of town.
Motion by Robert P. Leake, seconded by Gigi Robertson, to adjourn at 7:03 p.m. All in favor, motion carried.
/s/ Shannon Sturgeon /s/ William H. D’Aquilla
Shannon Sturgeon, Town Clerk William H. D’Aquilla, Mayor